The Big Agnes accounting team is recruiting for a Controller.
Assists the Director of Finance by overseeing the daily accounting operations including the accounting, payroll, accounts payable and accounts receivable departments. Develops and implements systems for collecting, verifying, and reporting financial information; develops internal accounting controls; interprets accounting policy; applys observations and recommendations to operational issues. Responsible for supervising the operation of the accounting department by supporting and leading accounting staff.
• Manage accounting department processes required to ensure accurate month-end and year-end close
• Prepare and deliver financial statements to Director of Finance
• Ensure that the ledgers are accurate and comply with GAAP
• Prepare monthly compliance certificates to lenders
• Prepare the annual financial budget with help from department managers
• Investigate and analyze the variances in data system, involving department managers in this process
• Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
• Approve monthly commissions, periodic insurance audits & compliance audits
• Prepare payroll journal entries and reports
• Support the external audit, preparation of audit schedules and respond to auditor questions and requests
• Cross-train and observe the accounting functions and work with team members to improve processes
• Work with cross-departmental teams to improve processes, conduct analyses, and measure results
• Manage employee outcomes by training, coaching, and guiding employees
• Assist in the formulation of internal controls and policies to comply with legislation and established best practices
• Bachelor’s degree in Business or Accounting
• 5-7 years of experience in accounting or finance
• CPA preferred
• Detail and deadline oriented
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Self-starter with ability to work independently under pressure and react quickly to changing priorities
Working Environment/Physical Activities:
• Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
• Must be able to lift 15 pounds at times.