City of Sallisaw
Job Title: Chief Accountant
Exempt (Y/N): Yes Department: Finance
Date: September 2022 Reports To: Finance Director
Chief Accountant is an administrative position responsible for assisting the Director of Finance in planning, completing, and monitoring accounting and reporting functions of the Finance Department. These tasks include, but are not limited to, posting of financial transactions, financial reporting, reconciliations of various general ledger accounts and reports, working with auditors and outside consultants, creating new reports, formulating new duties or functions of the department as needed; assumes the duties and responsibilities of the Director of Finance in his/her absence.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Assists the Director of Finance with management of all functions of the department. Assumes supervisory duties in the absence of the Director of Finance.
2. Maintains detailed records of budgets, revenues and expenditures. Prepares a variety of accounting and financial reports. Prepares trial balances, reconciliations and worksheets.
3. Perform analysis of revenues and expenditures as needed. Make suggestions on revenue generation and expenditures.
4. Monitor accounting and internal controls and procedures. Ensure all transactions are accounted for and posted correctly. Ensure all funds remain in balance. Maintain financial records in accordance with GAAP, GASB, and any applicable State of Oklahoma and Federal law.
5. Assist in preparation of annual budget and the completion of the annual audit.
6. Assists in preparation of reports required/requested of outside entities.
7. Assist other members of the Finance Department in problem solving all functions of the department. Assist other departments in reviewing their budgets, understanding and correcting problems, providing reports as needed.
8. Assists the Director of Finance with tracking and maintaining city assets.
9. Assists the Director of Finance and Grant Specialist with grant related accounting and activities.
10. Assist with any Telecommunications billing and reporting issues.
11. Work with outside contractors/consultants on various projects that directly affect the city and the Finance Department.
12. Perform or participate in special projects as needed.
13. Train new personnel.
14. Maintain desk manuals of all functions in which the incumbent is responsible.
15. Assist in maintaining software systems utilized by Finance.
16. May perform any function of the Finance Department upon need.
17. Attend necessary training as required, including webinars, workshops and conferences.
18. Appear for scheduled work with regular, reliable, and punctual attendance.
19. Performs other duties as assigned.
In the absence of the Director of Finance, the Chief Accountant will assume supervisory responsibilities of the Finance Department in accordance with city policies.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must possess a valid Oklahoma driver's license.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or university and minimum two years related experience related to private or municipal accounting. Bachelor's degree in Accounting preferred.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports and legal documents; Communicates frequently with other employees and customers; Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community; Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from public groups, managers, customers or the general public; Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals; Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions; Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables; Ability to interpret and apply laws and regulations pertaining to financial records.
COMPUTER AND ADMINISTRATIVE SKILLS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have knowledge of Microsoft Office products, primarily Excel, Word, and PowerPoint, and the ability to learn specific programs related to municipal government activities.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit, stand and walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The incumbent will typically work in an office environment where noise level is usually moderate.
** A pre-employment drug test is required.
Approved: _____________________________ Date: ___________________