Reports to: Vice President of Finance and Administration/CFO
Direct Reports: Finance Assistant
Last Updated: July 2022
The Finance Manager is responsible for the Foundation’s day-to-day accounting activities, ensuring the timely and accurate delivery of financial statements and reporting while keeping in compliance with financial policies and procedures consistent with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP). The Finance Manager maintains and continuously improves the financial controls system, supervises the Finance Assistant, and provides back-up support for the HR and Risk Manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
General Accounting and Reporting
- Establishes internal controls and guidelines for accounting transactions and budget preparation.
- Oversees and manages the general accounting functions, including but not limited to: accounts payable, accounts receivable, general ledger reconciliation and taxes.
- Assists the VP of Finance and Administration in preparing the Foundation’s annual operating and capital budgets.
- Prepares monthly budget to actual reports, financial forecasts and periodic financial statements and ensures that the reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Collaborates with other departments to formulate the Foundation’s payout strategy and estimate actual payout.
- Presents recommendations to management on short and long-term financial objectives and policies.
- Supervises and trains finance staff members and delegates department tasks.
Audit and Tax Compliance
- Assists in the preparation of local, state and federal tax returns.
- Works with the third-party contractor to prepare estimated excise payment calculations.
- Ensures compliance with local, state and federal government requirements.
- Oversees the preparation of IRS Forms 1099 and 1096.
- Works with the auditors to prepare audit schedules, financial statements and footnotes for the Foundation’s year-end financial statement.
- Assists the auditors and provides requested information during the annual audit.
- Prepares the monthly reconciliation of the general ledger to the grants management database.
- Assists with managing the Program-Related Investments (PRIs) portfolio, including amortization schedules.
- Manages the Matching Gifts Program.
- Assists in the creation of Initiative budgets and prepares monthly reports.
- Drafts and manages Foundation contracts and assigns budgets.
- Reviews and records payroll transactions in the accounting system.
- Participates in the selection, design and implementation of software solutions.
- Has ability to communicate financial data to a broad audience, including the ability to create graphs and tables for executive-level reporting.
- Participates in industry surveys.
- Works with the IT Operations Manager to attain an up-to-date inventory of computers and computer-related assets.
- Acts as the primary backup for the VP of Finance and Administration and the HR and Risk Manager.
- Attends and assists with the following committees: Audit, Investment, Grants and PRI.
- Some travel may be required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Alignment with the Foundation’s mission and vision.
- Commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion as a core value.
- Prior demonstrated responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination for a division or significant program area.
- Fundamental understanding of grants management.
- Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; accounting and reporting software knowledge.
- A solid understanding of GAAP accounting principles.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- High integrity combined with a commitment to good governance.
- Commitment to a high level of confidentiality.
- Fluency with the Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook, Word, Excel, SharePoint, Teams and QuickBooks and demonstrated ability to learn and adopt new software/applications.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration or related field required. CPA or MBA preferred.
- Five years or more of related accounting experience, including time in a supervisory role.
Full COVID-19 vaccination, including applicable booster shots required.