Financial Services Assistant
The UConn Library seeks a Financial Services Assistant to join our fast-paced and dynamic Financial Services Team. The Financial Services Team provides customer-focused services that support the daily operations and long-term financial planning of the UConn Library. Our team is responsible for the overall financial administration of the UConn Library budget, including management of university and foundation accounts across multiple stakeholders and campuses. Under the supervision of the Head of Financial Services, the successful candidate will be responsible for processing and maintaining the Library’s financial transactions, including purchasing of collection and non-collection materials, travel and non-travel reimbursements, billing, payroll, Foundation expenses, catering, vendor/supplier management, and budget tracking.
The successful candidate will make a positive contribution to a culture of inclusion and respect in all interactions within the Library and across the University and exemplifies the UConn Library values of kindness and trust, curiosity and inquiry, equity and inclusion, and having fun.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides financial and administrative support for the UConn Library.
- Verifies and processes financial transactions, invoices, and purchase orders within the University financial system (KFS) and the Integrated Library System (Alma) in an accurate and timely manner.
- Monitors, tracks, and maintains accurate fiscal records for all expenditures, including payroll records, purchasing, travel, Foundation reimbursements, and other disbursements. Monitors expenditures for compliance within approved budget allocations.
- Reconciles accounts and compiles reports with statistics pertinent to budget preparation and departmental operations. Creates and disseminates financial reports, including student labor allocation and expense reports for student supervisors.
- Places orders and facilitates the procurement process; follows up to resolve problems, ensure timely deliveries, and confirm payment.
- Communicates effectively and as appropriate with staff, faculty, and students regarding financial matters.
- Makes purchases with and reconciles purchasing card accounts.
- Manages shared email accounts and provides excellent customer service by responding promptly and professionally to inquiries.
- Facilitates the procurement process including tax exempt certificates, foreign wire transfer forms, vendor setup, and follow-up on invoices and payment status.
- Records and distributes minutes for meetings and documents practices, workflows, and shared processes.
Shared Expectations for All Staff
- Participates in planning and actively contributes to UConn Library priorities, initiatives, and operations through collaboration and cooperation.
- Demonstrates reliable and effective written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrates active learning in and communication of ongoing trends and developments related to professional and positional responsibilities.
- Works effectively in current office applications, software, and communication tools as set by the UConn Library and University of Connecticut.
- Exhibits appreciation of, sensitivity to, and respect for a diverse working environment, inclusive of social, economic, cultural, ideological, gender, racial, and ethnic backgrounds.
- Performs duties parallel to position responsibilities as required.
- Associate’s degree in accounting, finance, business, or related field and two years of related, professional experience.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion and the ability to work collaboratively with individuals of diverse cultural, social, and educational backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability to process and maintain financial transactions, with a high level of detail and accountability.
- Strong organizational skills coupled with flexibility and the ability to shift between multiple priorities.
- Demonstrated interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively, and to be flexible in approach to problem solving and recommending, implementing, and supporting solutions.
- Demonstrated customer service skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business, or related field.
- Experience with accounting systems (for example, Kuali Financial System).
- Experience with library systems (for example, Alma), services, collections, or financial environment.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Excel.
Employment at UConn and Appointment Terms
UConn is one of the top public research universities in the nation, with more than 30,000 students pursuing answers to critical questions in labs, lecture halls, and the community. Knowledge exploration throughout the University’s network of campuses is united by a culture of innovation. An unprecedented commitment from the state of Connecticut ensures UConn attracts internationally renowned faculty and the world’s brightest students. As a vibrant, progressive leader, UConn fosters a diverse and dynamic culture that meets the challenges of a changing global society.
The main 4,400-acre campus is set in a university town located in the heart of Connecticut; approximately a half hour’s drive from Hartford, 90 minutes from Boston, and 3 hours from New York City. Storrs offers New England village charm, with outstanding recreational facilities and open space initiatives, farm to table agricultural communities, and excellent public schools.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty, and staff. The diversity of students, faculty, and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians, and salutatorians who make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top public research universities.
UConn’s faculty and staff are a critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural, and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
This is a full-time position based in Storrs, Connecticut. The University offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits, including employee and dependent tuition waivers at UConn, and a highly desirable work environment. Salary is dependent upon education, qualifications, and experience. Alternate Work Arrangements including a hybrid schedule are potentially available upon request. This position is covered by the University of Connecticut Professional Employee’s Association, please see Career Paths for information on position classifications and salary bands.
Employment at the University of Connecticut is contingent upon the successful candidate’s compliance with the University’s Mandatory Workforce COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. This Policy states that all workforce members are required to have or obtain a Covid-19 vaccination as a term and condition of employment at UConn, unless an exemption or deferral has been approved.
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
Applications must be submitted online using UConn Jobs at http://www.jobs.uconn.edu, Staff Positions, (Search #496545) and include a cover letter, detailed resume, and contact information for three professional references. Candidates must address in their cover letter and/or resume how their candidacy meets the position responsibilities, minimum qualifications, and preferred qualifications (if applicable). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Nominations and inquiries should be sent in confidence to email@example.com. To ensure full consideration, inquiries and applications should be submitted by August 10, 2022. Employment of the successful candidate will be contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on August 10, 2022.